This page collects my work as a scientist trying to make sense of soft and complex systems.
Most of the work was done between 2014 and 2018, when I was a post-doc in the group of Prof. René van Roij
at the Institute for Theoretical Physics, Utrecht University.
My research focuses on theoretical studies at the interface of soft condensed matter and
fluid mechanics. My scientific interests include multi-phase transport at small scales,
active colloids, electrostatics and fluid dynamics in porous materials, and suspensions of charged and magnetic colloids.
samin.linkedin (at) gmail.com
- J. de Graaf and S. Samin. Hot Swimming using Table Salt: The Theory behind Self-Thermoelectrophoresis. (2018). arXiv
- Dynamic Stern layers in charge-regulating electrokinetic systems: three regimes from an analytical approach. Euro. Phys. J.: Special Topics, Accepted (2018). arXiv
- B. L. Werkhoven, J. C. Everts, S. Samin, and R. van Roij. Flow-Induced Surface Charge Heterogeneity in Electrokinetics due to Stern-Layer Conductance Coupled to Reaction Kinetics. Phys. Rev. Lett., 120:264502 (2018). arXiv
- B. Bet, S. Samin, R. Georgiev, H. B. Eral, and R. van Roij. Steering particles by breaking symmetries. J. Phys.: Condens. Matter, 30:224002 (2018). journal
- B. Bet, R. Georgiev, W. Uspal, H.B. Eral, R. van Roij, and S. Samin. Calculating the motion of highly confined, arbitrary-shaped particles in Hele-Shaw channels. Microfluid. Nanofluid., 22:77 (2018). arXiv
- N. Tasios, S. Samin, R. van Roij, and M. Dijkstra. Microphase separation in oil-water mixtures containing hydrophilic and hydrophobic ions. Phys. Rev. Lett., 119:218001 (2017). arXiv
- J.R. Gomez-Solano, S. Samin, C. Lozano, P. Ruedas-Batuecas, R. van Roij, and C. Bechinger. Tuning the motility and directionality of self-propelled colloids. Sci. Rep., 7:14891 (2017). arXiv
- S. Samin and R. van Roij. Solvo-osmotic flow in electrolytic mixtures. J. Fluid Mech., 819:R1 (2017). arXiv
- S. Samin and R. van Roij. Interplay between adsorption and hydrodynamics in nanochannels: towards tunable membranes. Phys. Rev. Lett., 118:014502 (2017). arXiv
- S. Chung, S. Samin, C. Holm, J. G. Malherbe, and S. Amokrane. Dynamics of field-driven population inversion in a confined colloidal mixture. Phys. Rev. E, 95:022605 (2017). journal
- J.C. Everts, S. Samin, N.E. Elbers, J.E.S. van der Hoeven, A. van Blaaderen, and R. van Roij.
Colloid-oil-water-interface interactions in the presence of multiple salts: charge regulation and dynamics. Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., 19:14345 (2017). arXiv
- M. Hod, A. Dobroserdova, S. Samin, C. Dobbrow, A. M. Schmidt, M. Gottlieb, and S. Kantorovich. Dilution Effects on the Combined Magnetic and Electric Dipole Interactions: A Study on Ferromagnetic Cobalt Nanoparticles with Tuneable Interactions. J. Chem. Phys., 147:084901 (2017). journal
- S. Faez, S. Samin, D. Baasanjav, S. Weidlich, M. Schmidt, and A.P. Mosk. Nanocapillary electrokinetic tracking for monitoring charge fluctuations on a single nanoparticle. Faraday Discuss., 193:447 (2016). journal
- J. C. Everts, S. Samin, and R. van Roij. Tuning Colloid-Interface Interactions by Salt Partitioning. Phys. Rev. Lett., 117:098002 (2016). arXiv
- S. Samin and Y. Tsori. Reversible pore gating in aqueous mixtures via external potential. Colloid Interface Sci. Commun., 12:9 (2016). arXiv
- J. C. Everts, M. T. J. J. M. Punter, S. Samin, P. van der Schoot, and R. van Roij. A Landau-de Gennes theory for hard colloidal rods: Defects and tactoids. J. Chem.
Phys., 144:194901 (2016). arXiv
- V. Prymidis, S. Samin, and L. Filion. State behaviour and dynamics of self-propelled Brownian squares: a simulation study. Soft Matter, 12:4309 (2016). journal
- A. Härtel, S. Samin, and R. van Roij. Dense ionic fluids confined in planar capacitors: in- and out-of-plane structure from classical density functional theory. J. Phys.: Condens. Matter, 28:244007 (2016). arXiv
2015 and before
- S. Samin and R. van Roij. Self-propulsion mechanism of active Janus particles in near-critical binary mixtures. Phys. Rev. Lett., 115:188305 (2015). arXiv
- A. Härtel, M. Janssen, S. Samin and R. van Roij. Fundamental measure theory for the electric double layer: implications for blue-energy harvesting and water desalination. J. Phys.: Condens. Matter, 27:194129 (2015). arXiv
- S. Samin, M. Hod, E. Melamed, M. Gottlieb and Y. Tsori. Experimental Demonstration of the Stabilization of Colloids by Addition of Salt. Phys. Rev. Applied, 2:024008 (2014). arXiv
- J. Galanis, S. Samin, and Y. Tsori. Controlling the fluid-fluid mixing-demixing
phase transition with electric field. In D.S. Dean, J. Dobnikar, A. Naji, and R. Podgornik, editors, Electrostatics of Soft and Disordered Matter. Pan Stanford Publishing, (2014).
- S. Samin and Y. Tsori. Stabilization of charged and neutral colloids in salty
mixtures. J. Chem. Phys., 139:244905 (2013). arXiv
- S. Samin, Y. Tsori, and C. Holm. Vapor–liquid coexistence of the stockmayer fluid
in nonuniform external fields. Phys. Rev. E, 87:052128 (2013). arXiv
- S. Samin and Y. Tsori. The interaction between colloids in polar mixtures above
tc. J. Chem. Phys., 136:154908 (2012). arXiv
- S. Samin and Y. Tsori. Attraction between like-charge surfaces in polar mixtures.
EPL, 95:36002 (2011). arXiv
- S. Samin and Y. Tsori. Vapor–liquid equilibrium in electric field gradients. J.
Phys. Chem. B, 115:75 (2011). journal
- S. Samin and Y. Tsori. Stability of binary mixtures in electric field gradients. J. Chem. Phys., 131:194102 (2009). arXiv
- S. Samin, G. Marcus, and Y. Tsori. Phase-separation transition in binary mixtures
near charged cylindrical surfaces. In P. G. J. Marro and P. I. Hurtado, editors, Proceedings of Modeling and Simulation of New Materials: Tenth Granada Lectures, AIP Conference Proceedings vol. 1091 (2009).
- G. Marcus, S. Samin, and Y. Tsori. Phase-separation transition in liquid mixtures
near curved charged objects. J. Chem. Phys., 129:061101 (2008). arXiv